Wednesday 14 January 2015

Whatever goes on, I am ready for it!!


Suchness, is the supreme most resolution; it’s the ultimate resolve. There is no determination higher than this. Even the resolve to enter death voluntarily is not so great a resolve really. Tathata means accepting things as they are. In a way, even the resolve to die voluntarily has
its roots somewhere in nonacceptance. That is, we want to know what death is; we want to verify whether death actually occurs or not.
Tathata means, if death appears we will die; if life remains we’ll continue to live. Neither are we concerned with life, nor with death. If darkness falls we’ll stay in the dark; if the light appears we’ll settle with light. If something good comes to us we’ll receive it; if something bad befalls us we’ll bear it. Whatsoever happens, we are willing to accept it – we deny nothing. Let me explain this to you with an example.
Diogenes was passing through a forest. He walked around naked – had a beautiful body. It seems quite possible man must have started wearing clothes in order to cover his ugliness. This seems highly possible. We are always interested in hiding the ugly parts of our body. But this man Diogenes was a very handsome man. He lived naked.
So as he was passing through the forest, four men engaged in the business of capturing and selling slaves, saw him. They figured if they could capture this man – good looking, strong, powerful –they may receive a good price for him. But they felt very apprehensive and couldn’t find any way to capture him without risking their lives.
Somehow, they tried and managed to surround him. Diogenes stood in the middle, calm and unperturbed. He asked, ”What do you want to do?” The men were very surprised. They took out chains. Diogenes stretched out his hands. Full of fear and with trembling hands, the captors began to chain him.
Diogenes said, ”No need to tremble. Come, let me tie the chains for you.” He helped them put on the chains. The men were simply flabbergasted.
After having chained him firmly, they said, ”What sort of a man are you? We are putting you in chains and you are helping us! We were afraid this might lead to some fighting and trouble.”
Diogenes said, ”You are having fun chaining me, I am having fun in being chained. Where is the need for any trouble? It’s great! Now tell me, where do we go from here?”
The men said, ”We feel very embarrassed in telling you that we are in the business of slavery. We’ll now take you to the marketplace and put you up for sale.”
Diogenes said, ”Good, let’s go.” He took off with great excitement and began walking even faster than the captors.
They said, ”Please slow down a little. What’s the hurry?”
Diogenes said, ”Now that we are going to the marketplace, why not reach in time?”
So finally they reached the marketplace. It was very crowded. Those who had come to buy slaves turned their eyes toward Diogenes. They had rarely seen a slave of this quality, because he looked more like an emperor. A huge crowd gathered around him.
He was made to stand on the platform where the slaves were auctioned. Raising his voice, the auctioneer said, ”Here is a slave for sale. Come forward and name your price.”
Diogenes said, ”Shut up, you fool! Ask these men, did I walk in front, or did they? Did they tie the chains on me or did I let them tie the chains on me?”
His captors said, ”The man is right. Left to ourselves, we don’t believe we could have captured him. And indeed he walked ahead of us so fast that we could not keep pace with him – we had to practically run behind him. So it is not correct to say we have brought him to the marketplace. The truth is, we have followed him to this place. And it is not right to say we have made him a slave. The fact is, this man agreed to become a slave, we didn’t make him.”
Diogenes said, ”Stop talking nonsense you fools, and let me do my own auctioneering! Besides, this man’s voice is not loud enough, no one will be able to hear him in this large crowd.”
So Diogenes raised his voice and said, ”A master has come here for sale. Anyone interested in buying him should come forward.”
Someone from the crowd asked, ”You call yourself a master?”
Diogenes said, ”Yes, I call myself a master. I tied the chains on my own. I have come here on my own, willingly. I stand here for sale of my own free will. And I shall leave whenever I choose to leave.
Nothing can happen against my will, because whatsoever happens I make that my will.”
Diogenes is saying, ”Whatsoever happens, I make that my will.” This man has indeed attained to tathata, suchness. What it means is: whatever goes on, he is ready for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment